Sunday, June 5, 2022

Thank You, Judy Heumann

 

  Those that know me know that I love to read. I even go as far as creating book lists of authors that I want to read. I follow up by reading all of their work. I usually stick to the mainstream authors such as James Patterson, John Grisham, and Dan Brown, to name a few. I also enjoy biographies and memoirs. Recently, I finished a book titled Being Human by Judith Heumann. This book was not only a good read, but it was relatable.

  Ms. Heumann is a disability advocate who is a disability superstar. Not only does the book document her life within the disability community, but it also highlights key events that took place in the disability rights movement. Ms. Heumann was involved in the sit-in that took over the San Fransisco federal building to get the regulations that give power to section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 signed. This law laid the foundation for the Americans with Disabilities Act, signed into law on July 26th, 1991, by George H.W. Bush. While I was familiar on a surface level with all the events mentioned in the book, I learned much more than expected from Ms. Heumann. She made the book relatable on a personal level.

  Before starting the book, I was aware of Ms. Heumann’s involvement in the Disability Rights movement; I was unaware how much her story parallels my own. Ms. Heumann had the intention to be a teacher. However, unlike me, she pushed her case through the court system. I do not mention this here because I am reliving the past and dreading my decision. Everything happens for a reason. I only bring this up to highlight the similarities between us.

  Reading her book has re-energized my passion for bettering the lives of all disabled people, no matter the degree of disability. While much has changed since the passage of the ADA, one has to question whether or not it is time to become more forceful and stage more effective protests once again to draw attention to the plights of the disability community. Although our lives have significantly improved, there is still work to be done so we can live up to a common disability rights mantra. “Nothing about us without us.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment