Thursday, June 30, 2022

Getting Back Out There: Green Day’s American Idiot: A Review

  This blog is the second installment in the Getting Back Out There series. Today, we will review a play I attended on June 12th at the Gainesville Community Playhouse. The show was entitled Green Day’s American Idiot. It chronicled a year in the life of the American rock band Green Day, as they were developing their identity as a band. I was turned onto the play by my friend, Kyle. I was immediately enthusiastic about seeing the show as the band was huge throughout my formative years. I won’t say I was their biggest fan, but I enjoyed their music tremendously.

  When the day finally arrived, I was unsure what to expect. I should’ve assumed it would be a musical, but I did not. However, it was a surprise. My girlfriend and I got to the theater right as the opening number was concluded. Immediately I knew that this show would be good. As the show progressed, my expectations were exceeded. The actors and actresses who put on the show were highly talented. You could tell they had put a lot of work into the play. The show consisted of three or four main characters representing the band members. There was also a choral group that provided the backup for many songs. As some of you may know, I have a degree in theater. While I do like straight plays, I’m particularly fond of musicals. This musical did not disappoint.

  As a final thought, I feel it is appropriate to mention the accessibility of The Gainesville Community Playhouse, seeing as this is a blog about disability-related issues. One will find a spacious lobby, allowing one to move around quickly. Once you enter the performance space, the seating is arranged so that even the “handicap” seats are at a perfect angle. Indeed, there is not a bad seat in the entire theater. The only negative I saw was the lack of multiple wheelchair-accessible seats right next to each other. Luckily, my girlfriend can transfer out of her chair. So, we were able to sit next to one another. As a message to those who built The Gainesville Community Playhouse, I commend you for your efforts to make everything accessible. If at any point you are doing a remodel of the theater, might I suggest you add sections for multiple wheelchair seating. Overall, I would rate the performance a 4 out of 5. And the theater itself, a 4 out of 5 for accessibility.

  I can’t wait to take in the venue's next show, continue to enjoy life, and “get back out there.”

Until next time.Your friendly neighborhood gimp,

- Jay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment