Tuesday, May 21, 2013

It’s Like We Want Our Cake and We Want to Eat it too Without Having to Work For It. Sorry, Life Doesn’t Work That Way!

A disturbing trend inspired me to write this blog. Please note: This blog may offend some of my disabled community, but that is not my goal! The goal is to express the idea that we are a minority that claims to be treated equally, but we cut corners more often than not. Because we cut corners, two things have occurred. People view us with unnecessary sympathy, and people end up taking advantage of disabilities. 

Let me first explain how this blog idea came to mind. I watched The Tonight Show earlier this week. Jay Leno mentioned the following in this monologue; Recently, out of Florida, black market disabled people have been hired to help people skip lines. Initially, I thought it was a story that Jay was making up for a good laugh because it got one. However, upon further research, I found it to be true. Several articles have been written about the issue. Two of which are going to be footnoted below. This blog will address that, but it will also address much more critical issues. 

First off, I think it is rather funny that people are such in a rush to hear, “It’s a small world after all...” sung to you over and over again that they would be willing to give up more of their hard owned money to a disabled person to use the sympathy that society offers them. I mean, really?! How much would it hurt to learn some patience? I mean, yes, these lines are pretty long...but the ride’s not going anywhere! All they are losing out on is their hard-earned money. If you don’t spend enough money at Disney world or places like that in general, why must you need a reason to shove unnecessary money?

Enough about that, and now down to the nitty-gritty of this blog. I am a disabled individual. I have Cerebral Palsy, and I use a motorized wheelchair. So I am privileged enough to skip the lines at amusement parks, airports, and other places. For a while, most of my life, I thought nothing of it. After this recent scandal, I got to thinking. Was Carlos Mencia, right? Carlos is a Mexican American Comedian who makes fun of every individual shamelessly for those who don't know. I am a huge, standup comedy fan. People sometimes tell me I should be a sit-down comedian.

I try, but my speech issues often get in the way. I still make people laugh hysterically with my lobster jokes, etc. Anyway, back to my point. In one of Mencia’s bits (please see the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQawDUmcdCQ it is hilarious and politically incorrect but it is fantastic, listen to the disabled kids' response to him), he comments about being behind a handicapped individual as he called them, and thinking to himself but not having the guts to say, why do handicapped people get to skip the lines? He was specifically referring to those who were in motorized wheelchairs or scooters. He did not have any beef with those on sticks or crutches. I thought it was hilarious at the time. I laughed my ass off, and people around me didn’t understand why. Let me explain.

Mencia may have a point. Just because we are disabled, do we deserve special treatment? I mean, to be honest, we are sitting on a chair. Our feet do not hurt from standing in line for hours. Do you know who should get to skip the lines? The 80-year-old grandparents with their grandchildren who can barely stand but do it anyway. Not I who has never stood without help a day in my life. Because oh my goodness, what if my finger gets tired from sitting in a 45-minute line? Now some may argue that they are doing it to make it easier for our caregivers and us. To this point, it might be easier to give caregivers more space on and off rides, but what does this have to do with skipping ahead of the 45 other people that paid the same price I did to get in? This principle can also be seen in other places. 

Just the other day at Wal-Mart, I saw an individual, no lie, steal one of those in-store scooters because they did not feel like walking. To put it politely, this person was significantly overweight. I know they were not disabled because I followed them and watched them get out of the scooter to reach on the top shelf to grab a large container of...wait for it...wait for it...OREOS! ...OREOS! This situation got me thinking also. No one ever calls disabled people out on anything because they are afraid to offend them. Like we are some fragile human being that cannot be told off or corrected. Our non-disabled people, and this is an honest question, so afraid of our difference that they fear being shunned by the rest of their peers if they call us out? For being obnoxious or inappropriate behavior? Let me give you an example. I go to college, as I’ve said before, with a large population of disabled people. A majority of these disabled people do not walk around with chips on their shoulders. However, a large portion does and walk around as if they own the university. They will run non-disabled people off the sidewalk. It’s probably happened to you, and none of the non-disabled people say anything to the disabled person. They can be heard muttering to their friends, though. 

What do all these examples have in common? Disabled people come in two varieties, so I’ve found it. Those individuals that are okay with their individuals and those who are bitter about them and use their disabilities to their advantage, i.e., they will skip the line in Disney World. Still, they will complain if not treated equally in the next minute. If we want to be treated equally and taken seriously as a group, we cannot pick and choose what areas of life we are treated equally. You may see skipping the line at Disney World not as a big issue but in places like this that we forcibly set ourselves apart from others. Either we want to step in line with the rest of society or have no problem outside the community, along with having our impressive entrance to the ride. We can’t have it both ways. It is almost like we cannot reach exceptionally far, but it’s almost like we enjoy the special seating we get in life. If you ask any minority, who has fought for equal rights, they will all tell you they never want special seating. They fought t sit among everyone else. Not apart from them.



Footnotes: 
1.) http://b1027.com/wealthy-hiring-disabled-to-cut-lines-at-disney/

2.) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/14/skipping-lines-at-disney_n_3275836.html


4 comments:

  1. Putting aside whether it's a moral failing to hire a person with a disability in order to skip lines, the reason why we're allowed to do it at all has less to do with the fact that we're special snowflakes who can't wait in lines and more to do with the fact that for a lot of rides at places like Disney World, and Hershey Park, and Six Flags, there are stairs people ascend as they proceed through the line. There's an alternative entrance people in wheelchairs use, and I guess it's conceivable that we could note who was at the back of the line when we went up the ramp, and then hop back in when it gets to be their turn, but...it seems unnecessary. Since there are thousands of establishments we can't access for every one amusement park line we can skip, I guess I just consider that the cost of doing business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point and I don’t disagree, but here is my argument. Take this idea into consideration. There are alternative entrances, but what if it occurred this way. We waited in line and we proceeded just like our able bodied counterparts until we got to thew front of the line. At that point we could treat it like airport check-ins or stadium entrances. For example, going off to the side and enjoying the ride that way, we should still have to wait in line regardless of being disabled or not because our disability does not allow us certain privileges. It only affords us certain accommodations.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that would definitely be more fair in a utilitarian way, and I absolutely hear what you're saying. What it comes down to for me is this: I don't complain because I can't get into the oldest, most famous and arguably best ice cream parlor in Philly anymore. It's in Old City and there are steps. It bums me out, but I'd never whine about it, because what are you going to do? You can reverse that and say, "People with disabilities can't get up the stairs to the rides, so they get on it faster. It bums me out, but I'm not going to whine about it, because what are you going to do?" Life is never really fair, but what are you going to do?

      Delete
  2. I love you, Meredith but just because our circumstance doesn’t present us with equal footing sometimes doesn’t mean we should not strive for it. Not everything in society is going to be equal. Women still make less than men, along with other inequalities but we as a group often complain about wanting to be treated equal, but will take shortcuts where we can get them. I am just saying it sounds like a double standard. We can’t strive to be equal and take free handouts at the same time. I know I am taking food stamps and welfare but I plan on giving back. However, I know a select group on disabled abilities who enjoy being on the system and feel that society owes it to them because they are disabled. I know you and myself are not among that group but the point of this blog was to say we can’t complain about being equal but want to be equal at the same time.

    ReplyDelete