The Disabled Journalist Association is Here

Okay, so anyone who has read these past few blogs I've written knows that my brain tends to explode every once in a while. Earlier this month, it was my inner theater kid, and now it is my inner advocate slash nerd. I was checking my email today when I came across Thursday’s Disability Florida Rights podcast (August 8, 2024). This podcast was a gift from the universe because it talked about something I have been dreaming of for a while. It discussed the organization called the Disabled Journalist Association.

Cara Reedy founded this kickass organization. As she states in the podcast, she is a light-skinned African American woman and a little person. Throughout the podcast, it is clear that she doesn’t let her disability slow her down even though she says, “…being a dwarf does change the perception in people's head.” She outlines her reasons for starting the disabled journalist association throughout the interview. Ms. Reedy felt that there weren’t enough disabled journalists in the industry. Her goal is to allow disabled people to tell their own stories. Her desire to start the DJA came about from her treatment at CNN. She highlights throughout the interview that all people are biased at some level, but the bias is not necessarily bad as long as you are aware of it. She has the ultimate goal of expanding her organization. The model for her organization is based on the work of the Black Panthers. She notes that the Black Panthers are often remembered for their violence, but the organization played a vital role in the early stages of the disability rights movement.  I will include a link to the podcast at the bottom of this blog.

Ms. Reedy is attempting to do what should’ve been done years ago. An able-bodied perspective often slants the perception of disabled people in the media. It is time to increase the number of disabled journalists and storytellers in the media so that we can tell our stories, i.e., nothing about us, without us. I know this one was short, but sometimes, you must get to the point. Thank you, Disability Rights Florida, for opening my eyes and expanding my network.

It is my goal to contact Ms. Reedy and see what happens. I don’t usually ask for luck, but hopefully, something good will come out of the new publicity the blog has been getting, and maybe, who knows, Ms. Reedy, along with myself and others, will make 2025 a year that truly celebrates disabled people.

 

https://disabilityrightsflorida.org/podcast/story/episode_71

Comments

  1. That's a great story ! The more I read the better you sound
    Thanks for staying woke Jason Hahr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume this is Monya' again; but I'm not sure since you're the one helping me to type this response. LOL. Thank for the complement on my writing as a journalist it is my job to inform and share stories. It is the stories that make the writing great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Terminology Debate

The Elephant in the Room

Hey! Down here!