“Hop” Is Back

 In modern society, whether you are four or forty or somewhere in between, chances are you know someone with a disability. I have been blogging about disability-related issues for over eleven years, and I am just beginning. I have always thought that the earlier and more often people are exposed to disability in some form or another, the better; finally, a TV network agrees.

 

Okay, I am technically a little late to the party since one season has already aired. Still, I’m excited that the streaming service formerly known as HBO Max, now just MAX, is bringing back a show called “Hop” designed to teach preschoolers about disabilities and differences.

 

The main character is a frog with only one leg. Along with its friends, Hop aims to teach preschoolers to embrace their own and others’ uniqueness. Recently, I wrote a blog about the need for disabilities to be prevalent in live theater, but this is even more crucial. Even though I don’t know much about the show, from what I have read, Hop starts teaching about disabilities at a very young age. In my opinion, this is exactly when people should learn about people who are different from them, whether

“Hop” Is Back

judgmental people on this planet. It is only through their exposure to the world that people become prejudiced and hateful of differences. People need to learn how to be kids again. Don’t judge a book by its cover; open it and read it before you form an opinion. For those who cannot follow my analogy, don’t judge people without getting to know them first. Sadly, adults are the ones teaching the children to be prejudice and hateful. Maybe we should change that. It's just food for thought.

 

Enjoy your day,

Jay

 

Comments

  1. On the flipside adults should be ok when children wanting to ask a person with a disability questions. Many parents try discourage them from asking and that in itself teaches children not to approach and interact with people with disabilities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay, I have a great joke for you about a one legged frog, remind me when I see you again

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Terminology Debate

The Elephant in the Room

Hey! Down here!