Breaking Down Barriers. Ignoring Stereotypes; How Ana Victoria Espino is Making History.

 When this blog began 11 years ago, it was fueled by anger and restriction, but it has since morphed into a platform for disability advocacy. I started the voiceless minority because I was denied the opportunity to even attempt to teach because of some people’s short-sightedness and preconceived notions of people with disabilities. Even though that was almost another lifetime ago, the article I read on Thursday has me wondering if I let society cut me out of my dream.

They say things happen for a reason, and I am not looking to go backward and redo my life, but the accomplishments of Ana Victoria Espino, a young lady in Mexico with Down Syndrome, make me wonder if I am really doing all I can to advocate for myself and others with disabilities. I will provide a short summary of the article in this post, but I recommend you click the link at the bottom and read the article about this outstanding young woman for yourself.

Ana was born with Down syndrome. Down syndrome is caused by an extra chromosome 21, often resulting in flattened faces and the individual taking more time to learn certain concepts. However, this does not mean they are incapable of learning. Ana clarifies this as she has become the first person with Down syndrome to graduate from law school. What she has accomplished is impressive. She graduated at the age of 25 after finishing high school online. The article highlights what one can do if they put their mind to it.

I would love to interview this inspiring young lady. Please comment if anyone is reading this in Mexico and knows how to reach her.

Ana's confidence can serve as a lasting example. Not only for those with disabilities but for everyone, when life brings you challenges, it is not necessarily how tough they are; it is what you learn from what you experience. Until next time, Jay!

https://www.latintimes.com/meet-ana-victoria-espino-latina-making-history-first-lawyer-down-syndrome-556529

 

Comments

  1. Jay, another great blog. I would love to see your interviewer too. I always thought that you could be a great attorney. You always argue Good and you and you right well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Ana Victoria Espino's accomplishments extend beyond the academic realm.” Thank you for spotlighting this young woman Jay. Her advocacy for persons with disabilities echos yours as well. It would be a great interview for you to be able to collaborate Ana’s aspirations coupled with your own! Brilliant Voices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also meant to comment on your road not taken! There is always time to travel a road that was once desired. It wouldn’t be looking back, it would be taking that journey that led you to a fork in the road, take the fork Jay, that will lead you to great accomplishments, not only for yourself, but for others with disabilities ! Teaching?!?! Heck yeah! You would be fabulous! So many avenues have opened up to make this a reality for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Terminology Debate

The Elephant in the Room

Hey! Down here!